The Fractometer II is a mechanical measurement instrument to determine characteristic values of bending and compression strength of wood. These parameters and characteristic strength values are obtained by means of a core sample (diameter: 5 mm) that has to be placed in the corresponding clamping device and aligned according to its fibre direction. The load is transmitted to the core sample by slowly and continuously pushing the two lever arms and it has to be increased until the wooden core fails or brakes. the maximum transmitted load equates to the failure load.
The corresponding Fractometer table makes possible a quick determination and comparison of the wood quality. This way, you can evaluate the stability and wood characteristics of a tree. The given values are only standard values. The tree must always be seen as a whole.
- Measurement of the fracture and compression strength of wood cores
- Evaluation of decayed wood by determination stiffness and fractures strength
- Detection of decay and lignin destruction
- Brown rot is indicated by small bending angles and low fracture strength
- At early stages of decay lignin destruction is indicated by large bending angles and a rather normal fracture strength (some types of whit rot)
Delivery contents (standard)
- Fractometer II
- Cutting knife
- Cutting boards
- Test pin
- Instructions Manual